Monday, November 10, 2008

Confession...

So I am sitting in my room in London listening to Mozart's Sinfonia Concertante and I was beginning to think that I was pretty cultured and cool and then I realized that I am suppose to be following the themes and the form... we have a problem! All of you probably remember that I am not musically inclined for one main reason, if it is just instrumental I have a hard time telling the music apart. I think that it is really pretty but that is about as far as the following of the themes goes. I do know that the first movement is fast, second is slow, and third is fast but that is about as far as it does... Prof. Benfell was explaining that a symphony follow the same basic pattern of having a theme, bridge, second theme, a development of the themes, then a recapitulation and the coda but I have the hardest time telling the different parts a part. This pattern is followed in each of the four to five movements. But I am trying to understand so I appreciate the live performances when we see them!

Yea for being cultured!

2 comments:

Calista said...

I completely know how you feel. I love music and am still totally overwhelmed by what you're having to do. My only piece of advice (and it may not even be good advice :) ) is to try and find the patterns in the song - thats the theme. When the song is transitioning from one pattern of notes to another, thats the bridge. Songs usually climax during a key change, which is the same theme or pattern, but sound different - higher or lower. I don't know if that'll help, but regardless, you should be feeling cultured, so you're good!
Good Luck!!!
Calista

Alexandra Sandvik said...

Let's quit Humanities and get a job handing out The London Paper. Yeah?