Wednesday, February 18, 2009

English 291

The poem that I am required to memorize for my English 291 class.

George Herbert:

Jordan. (I)

WHo sayes that fictions onely and false hair
Become a verse? Is there in truth no beauty?
Is all good structure in a winding stair?
May no lines passe, except they do their dutie
Not to a true, but painted chair?

Is it no verse, except enchanted groves
And sudden arbours shadow course-spunne lines?
Must purling streams refresh a lovers loves?
Must all be vail’d, while he that reades, divines,
Catching the sense at two removes?

Shepherds are honest people; let them sing:
Riddle who list, for me, and pull for Prime:
I envie no mans nightingale or spring;
Nor let them punish me with losse of rime,
Who plainly say, My God, My King.

I dont know about anyone else but I have never of George Herbert before... and now I am forcing his great words into my memory for the rest of eternity. Couldn't he have at least written a less bitter poem?


3 comments:

Alexandra Sandvik said...

Hey I'm totally in English 291 right now! But it is so boring that last time I spent the whole time making my nails into blue and black zebra stripes. I wish we could have endured it together...

The Scott Family said...

so meg... how did it go. were you able to get the whole thing down... i am sure you did amazing. i am at working and totally bored, so think of me as you are studying all your interesting english stuff. loves, mindy

Jessica 洁玲 said...

hehehehehhe...i almost had this poem memorized by the time you were done! jkjkjkj