Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Fat Tuesday (or in other words MARTI GRAS!)


I'm definitely not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to the Catholic holidays. Fat Tuesday, Ash Wednesday and Lent all have a pretty important significance to practicing Catholics so I felt that I should learn more about their feast days seeing that they are already fast upon us.

I did not celebrate Fat Tuesday, for which I am sure my old roommate Paige would be extremely disappointed, but I do plan on giving something up for Lent. I talked about this with my mom and she said that she already knew what she was going to give up and that was despair. I am by no means that profound so I am going to give up something physical, sugar treats, and also something mental, saying negative things about myself. While both of these things are going to take a lot of conscious effort on my part in the end it will be worth it. Isn't the idea behind Lent that by giving something up in preparation for the celebration of Easter one becomes closer to God?

I want to encourage everyone to get ready for Easter in their own way, weather it is giving something up for Lent or just reaffirming their goal to read about the life of Christ in The Bible and/or The Book of Mormon. I am!

No comments: